Friday 29 December 2017

Bitten Recap 'Bad Blood'

Image from Bitten, streamed via Netflix
Season 2 Episode 1

As you may have noticed, the recap for the second episode of the second season was posted before this one. This is because I accidentally deleted this first episode of the second season before I could recap it. Since I am still in the land of difficult Internet connection, I could not stream it. So, I had to wait until I took a trip where Internet was stable enough to download the episode off Netflix again. Then, my health kind of broke down on me so I had to press pause on recapping. I am only moderately better --- I am writing this with a headache that has so far lasted over 12 hours --- but I really would like to get a few recaps done before life gets too busy again. 

I have already mentioned on a recent update that I am not really feeling the second season of Bitten so far. I have not yet gone past a few episodes so I could still end up loving it, or at least liking it. Bad Blood introduced the Alpha Council; alphas from all over the world came to Stonehaven to demand that Jeremy deliver Malcolm’s head within the week, else, he risked losing his Pack and his territory. This expansion on the mythology of the werewolves could have been a bigger deal in the episode if it were not busy with another, the introduction of witches and a mysterious symbol that has appeared (1) on the neck of Nate Parker, who died whilst trying to escape from his heretofore unidentified captors; (2) the necks on a team who attacked Clay and Elena, who wanted Malcolm and who appeared to feel no pain; and (3) a massacre on the house Malcolm had been staying, with his werewolf posse and Rachel.

Whatever that symbol was was clearly going to be important to the series moving forward, but for now, only anthropology professor Clay was interested on it. Elena was consumed with her desire to avenge Philip’s murder. Logan only wanted to find Rachel. Nick was busy helping Jeremy with his Alpha Council problem.

The Pack managed to track Malcolm down, but Jeremy could not kill him yet, for Rachel was still missing. With Nick’s help, Jeremy figured out that the Spanish Alpha backed Malcolm’s uprising against the Pack, and tried to frame the Russian Alpha for it.

The Pack was being followed by two witches, in contact with what I assumed was another witch, Savannah. It was nice to see more women on the show, particularly women who clearly possessed power. They did not have much screentime on Bad Blood, however, not enough for me to have a more solid opinion on what the witches brought to the story. I will withhold judgment regarding their part until I see more.

Bad Blood showed an expanding world of Bitten, with the introduction of the witches and that mysterious symbol. I hope it would resolve the story of Rachel’s kidnapping quickly, though. I really would rather not see this pregnant woman drugged and forcibly tested on again.

Strays

■ As odd as this may seem, I prefer nerdy, interested in symbols Clay over shirtless with only a towel on Clay.

■ Clay was portrayed as the brutal one in the first season. Taken over by grief, Elena was now the one roughing up mutts.

■ Were the people with symbols on their necks mind controlled?

No comments:

Post a Comment