Wednesday 24 January 2018

I am not ready to give up on Britannia

Image from Britannia, streamed via iFlix
The whole time I was watching the Pilot episode of Britannia, I kept wondering what it was trying to convey. Every story has a core, not necessarily a message but a basic story that it wants to tell. Britannia, or at least, the first episode of Britannia, was too weird to simply be a story of the Roman conquest of Britain. An exploration of warring faiths forced into confrontation by a Roman politician determined to conquer what others had feared? 

I cannot really blame anyone who watches this Pilot and promptly gives up on the series. Shows like Game of Thrones and Vikings use recognisably contemporary dialogue as well but they are either mixed seamlessly with the show (Game of Thrones) or delivered by an actor so fitted with his character that his mere presence elevates a scene (Travis Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok). Britannia is most certainly not Game of Thrones, nor is it centred on a character portrayed by a magnetic actor who can rescue weak writing.

Image from Britannia, streamed via iFlix
Here's why I am not ready to quit this show --- The possible unification of the warring tribes of Britain interests me. So does the court of King Pellenor. We only saw Queen Antedia's men at battle; I expect we will see more of them in the next episodes. I am happy to see Annabel Scholey, whom I adored as Contessina in Medici: Masters of Florence. The cast actually looks good, if only the show spent more time with them and their characters, and less with hallucinogenic scenes.  

A possible downside of living in the age of Peak TV is that there is such wealth of incredible shows available, a product that is not stellar right out the gate might be prematurely dismissed. I am trying to avoid that, which is why I will be there for Britannia's second episode. Would I recommend Britannia, though? No. But I will certainly let you know if succeeding episodes change my mind.

Image from Britannia, streamed via iFlix

No comments:

Post a Comment