Saturday 6 May 2017

RECAP REIGN Season 4 Episode 11 Dead of Night


Director: Deborah Chow
Writers: Wendy Riss Gatsiounis & Drew Lindo
Original Air Date: 05 May 2017

Reign is Mary's show, and I write that as someone who worships the ground Catherine de Medici walks on, and who admires the shift to the story of the three Queens in the third season. We are already in the days of certain descent for Mary, and Adelaide Kane ruled her every scene. Episodes like this make me feel more keenly a fan's frustration that Reign is ending much too soon. It was written by Drew Lindo and Wendy Riss Gatsiounis, two of my favourite Reign writers. Though I watched the episode after working bloody overtime, I loved it.

I meant to write a full recap but given how tired I am, I thought I would keep this short. Through the haze of exhaustion, I wanted to cheer for Mary as she refused to back down despite Darnley's threats. The Mary who tore up the grant of crown matrimonial is the Mary we have loved through four seasons. Could Darnley's threat to disown the child Mary was carrying be the final instrument of his doom? I have decided not to look through the promos of the last few episodes so I can watch them as spoiler free as possible.

Meanwhile, the pace in France really picked up with the arrival of Henri at Court. Henri and Nick Slater fit Reign and the CW so well, I wish we could have had him in more episodes. Megan Follows was in fine form as Catherine tried to be both mother and protector of the Valois line amidst her warring sons. Catherine turning to occult near the end of the episode was a nice call back to the first season, along with the Nostradamus name check early on.


Strays

■ Rose is the cutest baby.

■ Darnley is an a-se, but Will Kemp slays in his portrayal of him.

■ Luc and Claude make saying 'I'm not in love with you' to each other the sweetest ever, full of promise of the warmth of friendship and partnership, if not romance.

■ Still not on board with the Gideon and Elizabeth romance. Gideon's choice to be honest and loyal to his Queen in lieu of the woman he once loved would have been more affecting without the romantic angle with Elizabeth, imho.

■ Catherine and Narcisse backing different kings makes France much more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment