Thursday 13 April 2017

Poldark Recap Series 2 Episode 5 When Redemption Ends

Image from Poldark, streamed via iFlix
Director: Charles Palmer
Writer: Debbie Horsfield
Original Air Date: October 2, 2016

I have already seen the entirety of the second season, of course, so I grabbed a Cadbury before I rewatched this episode for the recap. I wish I could say it helped ease the blow, but it did not. This was a beautiful sendoff, however, for a character on a lovely redemptive arc. We'll miss you, F. 

Life was much better for Francis. He has freed himself from the chains of his class, and had learnt to emphatise with those living far harsher lives. In his role as magistrate, he even managed to help a free trader get a relatively light sentence. He worked hard at the mine, determined to make amends, for though everyone around him accepted him, his sins remained with him.

It was perhaps fitting that Francis's final conversation was with Demelza. Francis confessed that he gave George Warleggan the names of the Carnmore Copper Company shareholders because he was furious with Demelza's role in Verity's elopement. He thought Ross and Demelza already suspected, but these were matters he clearly had been wanting to say out loud for so long. Demelza had kind words for him, words he needed to hear, and in those few moments, with Kyle Soller softly lit, it was as though Francis finally held hope that he was not lost after all.

Demelza and Francis had been on the outskirts of the dome of first love that Elizabeth and Ross shared. Demelza was the woman who did not think herself enough. Francis suffered from the same insecurities, though as he worked to turn his life around, he has been earning Elizabeth's smiles and kind looks more. Demelza could see, however, that the connection between the former lovers was not broken.

Image from Poldark, streamed via iFlix
And here I am going to pause and scold Elizabeth. Things were finally good between the cousins. The families of Nampara and Trenwith were getting along. Was this really the right time to give this speech? 'Is it so astonishing that a woman who changed her mind once would change it twice? Cannot a woman love two men? Cannot a man love two women? I'm with Francis, and happy to be so. We're alike in many ways. But a piece of my heart will always be yours. As a piece of yours will always be mine.' That is it, scolding over.

For a character on a redemptive arc, it was a good way to go. Francis had begun to find peace. He knew there was a chance of forgiveness, not just from others, but from his own self. He was even excited about potentially finding copper in Wheal Grace. When he fell into the water, he held on, with shattering thoughts of a rescue from his cousin that never came. There is never enough time for the things we want in life, but Francis, at least, found his strength before he died. 

Strays

■ LOL at Aunt Agatha who thought Francis was charged with a crime and did not realise he was a magistrate.

■ Aunt Agatha faked illness to get Verity to come to Trenwith, and stay there. I loved the sheer joy in Aunt Agatha's face when Verity arrived.

■ George was nasty to Aunt Agatha. I hate him.

■ Demelza: 'One bad thing does not outweigh the many good. Tis the balance that counts.' Francis: 'I don't wonder Ross loves you.'

■ Francis: 'You have one failing, and that is that you don't think well enough of yourself.'

■ George Warleggan acquired Ross's promissory note, which meant that Ross needed to pay 1400 pounds, or go to debtor's prison.

■ From my notes on this episode, when George Warleggan declared that he would use any means necessary to acquire Ross's promissory note: George is a little sh-t. 

Image from Poldark, streamed via iFlix
■ Dr. Enys has a new patient, Rosina, who has a strange pain in her knee.

■ The sadness over Francis in this episode was balanced by the happy movement in the relationship between Dr. Enys and Caroline. I wanted to write more about them but I am truly quite wiped out, so I will just include a few brief points here. 

■ Uncle Ray thought he was going to announce Caroline's engagement to Unwin at the party, but Caroline broke things off instead.

■ Caroline returned after spending the last 12 months in London. The first thing she did, of course, was head for the market to put herself in the path of Dr. Enys.

■ Dr. Enys: 'I'm old fashioned in these matters, Miss Penvenen. I thought civility should be shown on both sides.'

■ Caroline: 'Do you dislike me very much?' Dr. Enys: 'Dislike? If coming between me and my work for the last 12 months, if being unable to forget your voice or the way you turn your head or the lights in your hair. If wanting to hear that you're married and dreading to hear that you're married, if that's dislike. Perhaps you can identify these symptoms for me?'

■ That forest rendezvous, though.

■ Caroline was leaving for London immediately. 

■ Dr. Enys: 'I hardly ever met women, except as cases. So if you come to me with a sore throat, I know what to do. But if I meet you in a drawing room, you are a creature whose moods and manners I've never learnt to decipher. And if you laugh at me, which you frequently do, I become tongue tied and foolish.'

■ Dr. Enys may not know women much, but he knew the signs when a woman wants to be kissed.

■ Dr. Enys: 'And now, no doubt you hate me.' Caroline: 'And now no doubt I hate you.'

No comments:

Post a Comment